Yates County continues to flourish as a manufacturing hub with a mix of manufacturers from different industries, some of which have called Yates County home for over 200 years! Manufacturers that call Yates County home, do so in part thanks to the county’s very low costs of doing business. Yates County manufacturers have access to many services and incentives that help them remain competitive in today’s business environment.
Project and Tax Financing:
The FLEDC can provide expanding businesses with a variety of tax incentives and low cost financing options to help lower their project costs. Please visit the Financing and Tax Incentives sections of our website for more information on specific programs.
Ready and Willing Workforce:
With a workforce of 180,000 within a 30 minute drive, businesses in Yates County find a range of skills that can be applied to a variety of businesses. Wage and benefit packages are very competitive with entry level skilled workers earning approximately $10.50 per hour and the top earners bringing in approximately $22 per hour.
The Yates County Department of Workforce Development One-Stop Center is a cooperative effort with partners in the Finger Lakes Works Workforce Development System in the four-county Finger Lakes region of Yates, Ontario, Seneca and Wayne counties. They serve both job seekers and employers in programs supported by Title I of the Workforce Investment Act. The department also contracts with the Yates County Department of Social Services to operate their employment programs.
In the Middle of it All:
Located in the middle of the Finger Lakes Region of New York, Yates County is conveniently placed near the Southern Tier, Rochester, Syracuse and Buffalo markets. New York City, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Toronto and Washington, D.C. are all within six hours. Nearby transportation includes the Penn Yan Airport, the location of Seneca Flight Operations’ fleet of private jets, as well as rail service through the Finger Lakes Railway and convenient access to the New York State Thruway, Interstate 390 and New York State Route 17 (I-86). Yates County is also just an hour in each direction from Greater Rochester International Airport and Syracuse Hancock International Airport.There are currently 40 acres of shovel ready land within our Empire Zone at the airport for air service related businesses as well!
We are very proud of the local companies that have been growing within our County for as long as 200 years. A sampling of our local manufacturing base gives you a great view of the diversity of companies that call Yates County home.
- Abtex Corporation, located on Route 14 in Dresden, has been designing and manufacturing application specific abrasive nylon deburring brushes and automated deburring systems since 1980. Nearly all Abtex products are custom designed and built locally.
- Birkett Mills, the world’s #1 producer of buckwheat products for over two centuries, has been in continuous operation at the site of its original location in downtown Penn Yan since 1797.
- Coach & Equipment, a manufacturer of small and medium sized buses, has been manufacturing in Yates County since 1895. Their continued success is evidenced by their move in 2000 to their new state-of-the-art 85,000 square foot facility located in the Horizon Business Park in Penn Yan.
- Dudley Poultry Company, Inc., is nestled in the scenic Middlesex Valley. Dudley has manufactured, marketed and distributed fine quality poultry and related products since its inception in 1963.
- Ferro, a leading global producer of technology-based performance materials for manufacturers, is the world’s largest supplier of electronic materials for passive components used in the manufacturing of multilateral ceramic capacitors; specialty glass and colorants; ceramic glaze frit and stain technology; and pocelain enamel frit. Their Dresden, New York plant is part of their electronic materials system division and develops, manufactures, and markets high-purity powders, pastes and tapes for many electronic applications.
- KanPak LLC, a family-owned dairy company based in Arkansas City, Kansas, acquired its Penn Yan facility at the end of 2014 and has been expanding ever since. The plant, which has liquid aseptic processing as well as yogurt capabilities, services the North East region and is one of the largest employers in the area.
- Penn Yan Aero has been re-manufacturing and improving upon piston aircraft engines in Penn Yan since 1945. Today, Penn Yan Aero is a global leader in re-manufacturing and reciprocating engines and engine components for single and twin prop driven aircraft and small helicopters. Penn Yan Aero also builds new engines for the “experimental” general aviation market.
- Remee Casting, Inc., headquartered in Penn Yan, is known throughout the Northeastern United States as the premier manufacturer of cultured marble, granite and other solid bath products.